Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Life With Baby


I didn't want to start using the pacifier until after another couple of weeks but, at day 8, Steve introduced it anyways. I wasn't angry though because the tired baby automatically stopped fussing and I know that Steve only did it because he was wanted to give me some relief. So far, it looks like Crystal is still latching onto the breast the same, but she seems confused for a couple of seconds when given the pacifier. The only time that she seems to need it is at 8 pm at night, or fussy time. Otherwise, she wants to "comfort nurse" and be constantly attached to my nipples for 5 hours until she's able to sleep.

I've picked up some tricks which help things. After nursing, if she'll sleep while I'm holding her, then I can keep her snuggled on me and sleep in our bed. She seems to stay asleep this way and, during the night, she sleeps for 4 hours at a time. Don't worry: I won't roll onto her. My carefulness tends to cause me to freeze my body and seemingly sleep with both eyes open. Lately, the bassinet only seems to be keeping her asleep for 15 minutes at a time, no matter how snugly bundled she is. I'll keep in mind that I should move her out of the bed as early as I can, while she's still young or when she's less upset, in a few months I suppose.

I'm pretty much back in the same shape as I was before the pregnancy, except for my chest, as I had only gained 7 lbs. I'm probably one pants size bigger due to the change in my bone structure. I already owned clothes that were too big anyways, so no big deal. The birth hardly injured me at all as I physically feel much better now than when I was pregnant. I was even able to go to church on Sunday, at two weeks. The baby stayed asleep basically the whole time and I only had to feed her once. So, I was able to play the piano in Primary.

Other news: It turns out that we didn't get the contract on that one house. We put an offer on a different house instead, one in North Brentwood which seems to not require any repairs or upgrades, for 126K. Moving there would probably put us in the College Park Ward. Though, for some reason, I'm not sure that I like the idea of being in church with Steve's parents. I'll get over it, I guess.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Grandma is going to love being in church with her newest grandchild...asf ar as Crystal not sleeping in the bassinet...try putting something with your smell on it in there with her ...she is used to being in tight quarters and smelling you...the bassinet probably feels really big to her and it has a unique smell that she isn't used to...

Michelle said...

Evi didn't like sleeping in her crib/bassinet when she was a newborn either. By accident, we discovered she slept quite well in her carseat, so we started putting her in that at night, just next to our bed, and it worked great. When she got fussy, we'd just rock her a bit and she started sleeping 8-10 hours a night just in the carseat. After she was about a month old, we discovered that she liked to sleep on her tummy. I was afraid to try her that way since books and doctors suggest not doing that, but after one try she slept so well. If you're careful with blankets not being near the head, and if they're happier, it works great. Her pediatrition actually said there was no problem with it, and if she was happy and sleeping, then keep her on her tummy. It might be worth a shot? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes its just the smell that they crave and will sleep in their own bed. I used to put the shirt that I had worn all day in the crib with Alayah tucked around her head and it worked for a few days anyway! We also put her on her side propped up and that helped a little and then one her tummy and the Dr. said it was fine too.

Kelly