Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Home Search

On Saturday, Steve and I attended a home buyer's course. Yesterday, we looked at 5 bank-owned houses with our agent. It was a new experience for us. I think that we might go out one more time to look at a few more before deciding on one. I'm looking for a 3+ bedrooms for under $100,000.

I'd like to buy something before April 30th so that we can get the $8000 federal tax credit. I was thinking that we can use that money to help pay the monthly payments for two years or until Steve gets a raise or a new job. We have about $15000 saved up so far that I would like to use on repairs and as a large down payment so that we could earn more equity faster.

One thing to watch carefully is the property tax. The last house we looked at was pretty sweet and had a low price but it was in Bladensburg where there is an additional city tax. There is no way I'd pay about $7000 ($600/month) solely on property taxes. We wouldn't have visited it if I noticed this beforehand.

Pregnancy update: 33 weeks pregnant now with 7 weeks left.

We've been attending Lamaze classes. Out of the 6 pregnant women there, even though we are all due around the same week, I seem to be the smallest. Though, my uterus has been measuring well at my prenatal appointments and I've been gaining 1 lb/week. I guess that I just have a small body to start with. I haven't any stretch marks. I almost fainted during the last class. I must not have been drinking enough water during that day.

So far, we scored some baby clothes, a rocker, a boppy, and a crib. I'm happy to accept any other hand-me-downs. Diapers are the most needed, of course. My ward's baby shower for me is for Jan 30. The family+other baby shower Feb 6th?

4 comments:

Karen said...

You are so smart to think out all of those things like savings, tax credit deadlines, property taxes, etc. I hope you find something that will fit you well.

Cindy said...

I agree with Karen and good luck! I think that the taxes they are talking about are back taxes that remain unpaid. They shouldn't be that high anywhere in the county for that price of house.

Wendy K said...

No it's not the back taxes. The breakdown for tax year 2009: county tax: $3278, city tax: $2689, and special tax assess: $1382. Even though the asking price is $94,000, the 2010 tax assessment is $363,360.

Wendy K said...

I think that the tax people just fudge a value of the home mainly based on the number of bedrooms that it has. This one had 6.