Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Baby #2 is Here!

Chester Craig Kelley, born July 2nd (10 days early), 8 lbs 0 oz, 20 3/4 inches.


Birth Story:

June 30th, 10:30 pm: A squirt of water wakes me up. I don't feel anymore contractions and I go back to sleep. July 1st, 3 am: I wake up to another squirt of water and start to worry. I get up and surf the internet but I don't have any contractions, so I leave for Jury Duty at 6 am. I leak bits of fluid all day but no contractions. I'm dismissed from Jury Duty at around noon and make it to the hospital at around 1:30 pm.

I'm at 4 1/2 cm dilated. They tell me since I've been "in labor" for a long time that they have to put me on Pitosin and antibiotics and have to keep monitors on me continuously. They wait 3 hours before putting me on Pitosin and I'm still at 4 1/2 cm. The nurse keeps getting angry/frustrated that my monitors have to be readjusted whenever I shift my weight to my other butt cheek or when the baby moves (all the time). I also unplug myself from everything when going to the bathroom. Anyways I'm on the Pitosin for several hours and my contractions are only a little stronger and closer together.

July 2nd: I'm extremely tired and try to sleep (unsuccessfully) between contractions. I'm checked again at 2 am or so and I'm still at 4 1/2 cm. But, then the midwife notices that I still have a bag full of water in the way. She pops that and sticks an internal monitor on the baby's head so that we can leave the external monitors off and I can move around more freely. Labor and transition then comes quickly and strongly and I'm extremely uncomfortable and change positions a couple times, whine and cry, and the baby is born at 4:32 am. He cries and then pees himself in the face.

I didn't rip and needed no stitches which is wonderful. Since the baby came a week early, we were able to leave for our family vacation to the beach house!

No comments: