Wednesday, November 4, 2009

5 Months Pregnant

Hm, since the last post... My ultrasound showed my cervix to be 2.5 cm. This was a thing of concern since the average cervix length is 4 cm and a short cervix can be indicative of an incompetent cervix which shortens and opens when it's not supposed to and may lead to a preterm labor. I assumed that since I never leaked or spotted or anything that I don't have that particular problem and that I just always had a short cervix or something.

The doctor ordered a second ultrasound and referred me to a high risk doctor. The second ultrasound showed my cervix to be 2.5 cm again. Then the high risk doctor measured my cervix at 3.5 cm which is normal, so now I'm back to seeing my usual doctor. Sheesh.

I called Kaiser to inquire about the contracted birthing center option. It appears that Kaiser is with only with one birthing center in this area and it's in Virginia. So, I'll probably be giving birth at Holy Cross then. I'll pre-register right now.

I got the H1N1 shot on Tuesday. I started having the sniffles that morning though. So far it seems to just be a cold though since I have no fever. I haven't had a fever in like 6 years. We'll see how I am by the end of the week.

Anyways, my main concern is still with our future financial situation. I've become angry at what American society has become in this area. Because more mothers are working these days, their families are making more money and have an advantage over families where the mothers chose to stay home. The more mothers that are working, the more money families make, and the higher the home/rental prices get. So high, in fact, that the other mothers are forced to work also in order to compete for just a basic living for their families.

It doesn't make sense that an entry-level job for someone bachelor's degree doesn't pay enough for them to afford all of the basics of living in a measly one-bedroom apartment. I'm referring to how much my husband is getting paid, of course. My parents were our ages with similar education and jobs when they had their first kid and it appears that they were eventually able to buy a good house. A house like theirs is worth about $300K today and even with our combined full-time salaries minus child care, we wouldn't be able to afford that. Is there no longer any hope for a perfect life? What is the world coming to?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm glad you got the shot and that things are looking better for a healthy pregnancy. Don't over worry about the future. It seemed impossible for us starting out. You may have some tough times but almost everyone does.

Karen said...

Finances stink for most people right now...not that that helps. Glad to hear you are out of the "high risk" label.

Anonymous said...

I have a Muslim friend Layla who told me once that babies come with their own money. Paul lost his job and I am working half time from home so we are living on about a third of our former income, which wasn't much to begin with. It helps that housing is cheap in GA and we bought a very inexpensive townhome, but we still have get assistance with buying food to make ends meet right now. What I am trying to say is babies do come with their own money. We gotten diapers, and a crib and a stroller and the list goes on and on of things that have been given to us for Adam. It is kind of like God's way of saying "It's going to be all right. Just keep paying your tithing and I (meaning Heavenly Father) will take care of everything else. It is humbling, but oh, so true! God loves us and He helps us through these tought times. PS-housing is really cheap in Georgia. We loved to have you as neighbors! Love, Bekalyn Craig